The Utilities Service Division complies with Chapter 51 for water and Chapter 52 for sewer of the City of Burton Codified Ordinances. The following are some reminders that will allow the utilities system to remain safe for public use.
Prohibited discharges to the sewer system.
No person shall convey, deposit, or cause or allow to be discharged, conveyed, or deposited into the system any pollutant other than a compatible pollutant which the system expressly agrees to accept from a user, or any wastewater containing any of the following (for definitions please review Ordinance 52.030):
- Oils and grease. (Fats, wax, grease, or oils)
- Explosive mixtures. (Liquids, solids, or gases)
- Noxious materials. (Solids, liquids, or gases)
- Improperly shredded garbage.
- Radioactive wastes.
- Excessive levels of toxic substances.
- Untreatable pollutants.
- Discoloring pollutants.
- Corrosive wastes.
- Excess heat.
Prohibited Discharges to the Storm Sewer
- No person(s) shall discharge or cause to be discharged any unpolluted waters such as storm water, ground water, roof drain runoff, subsurface drainage, footing drain discharge, or cooling water to any sanitary sewer.
- Whenever the Director shall find that any provision of this section is being violated, he or she shall issue a written order to the person(s) responsible for the removal, elimination, or correction of the conditions(s), to remove those connectors or drains from the sanitary sewer within 30 days after service of that order.
- The service of the order as mentioned herein may be made upon the person to whom it is directed, either by delivering a copy of same to that person, or by delivering the same to and leaving it with any person in charge of the premises, or by affixing a copy thereof in a conspicuous place on the door to the entrance of the premises.
Termination of Service
The city shall have the authority to terminate wastewater service to any user who attempts to violate or violates any provision of this ordinance, or who in any way attempts to avoid, delay, prevent, or interfere with the execution or enforcement of any provision of this ordinance, or who fails to pay any charges levied against him, her, or it, whether regular or extraordinary, under this ordinance, or attempts to avoid, delay, prevent, or interfere with the execution or enforcement of any rule or regulation promulgated by the Genesee County Water and Waste or Director for compliance with or execution of this ordinance, or who fails to appear at a hearing to meet a charge against him, her, or it, under this ordinance.