As a property owner, if you feel that improvements made to your property are not compliant with the current code, you have the right to file a complaint against the license of the contractor within 18 months of the Certificate of Occupancy being issued. To file a complaints with the Bureau of Constructions Codes in Lansing you can contact (517) 241-9363 to get the required forms sent to you or you may download the forms from the DELEG website.

Once the forms are complete you may bring them to the Building Inspector and he will make an appointment to conduct an inspection. If you would like to make a complaint about the condition of a structure located on neighboring property or a commercial property, please have the address of the property and contact the building department by email or phone.

If the building inspector finds that the structure causes an unreasonable hazard to the neighboring properties, an unoccupiable or condemned sticker will be placed on the front of the structure.  The Building Inspector or designee will investigate all complaints made to the department of public works. If you would like to check on the status of a complaint made please have the address ready and contact the building department by email or phone.