Do I need a permit for a sign?

Yes, any change to a sign will require a permit, and will need to meet the current code- Chapter 153 of City of Burton Ordinances.

Do I need a permit to add fill dirt to my property?

Yes, permits are necessary when changing a property’s natural flow of water by adding dirt.

Does the City of Burton determine if my property is located in a Flood Plain?

No, it is Federal Emergency Management Administration that determines the location of Flood Plains, however the City does have maps available for review.

Can I build a structure in a Flood Plain area?

It is possible to build a structure in a Flood Plain area as long as you have first received permission in writing from the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ).

If I pay for a variance, does that mean I will automatically be approved?

No, a variance is decided at a public meeting by the seven-member board, there is no guarantee of approval. 

If I am denied my variance, do I get my money refunded? 

No, by the time the action is made at the meeting the money has been expended for notification purposes and will not be refunded if denied.

How do I become a Zoning Board of Appeals Member?

If you are interested in becoming a member of the Zoning Board of Appeals, you may ask the City Council for consideration by submitting a letter of interest to the office of Burton City Clerk.