Please note: The Treasurer's Office handles questions regarding the billing and collection of property taxes. Specific questions regarding property assessments should be referred to THE CITY ASSESSOR'S OFFICE.

What is the difference between real and personal property taxes?
Real property is property that is attached such as land and buildings. Real property taxes are assessed on either commercial/industrial or residential property.

Personal property taxes are assessed only on property that is used in a business (equipment, computers, furniture, machinery, etc)

How is property assessed?
Real property assessments are based on market values and are assessed yearly by the assessor's department.  Assessment notices are mailed to taxpayers of record in February of each year.  An important part of assessing property is the appeal process.  Real property assessments can be appealed at the March board of review.

Personal property assessments originate from a filing of a statement by the taxpayer. If a personal property statement is not furnished the assessor, he/she is authorized to assess such amount of personal property as deemed reasonable and just. The business property owner is required by law to report the value of property owned on a personal property statement form provided by the local assessor (mailed the last week in December).  Assessment notices are also mailed to business personal property owners in February of each year.  Personal property assessments can also be appealed at the March board of review.


What is the difference between assessed value and taxable value?
Taxable value (TV) is the value used to compute your tax bill and applies to real property only.  "TV" is determined yearly as the LESSER of assessed value (market based as determined by assessor) and capped value. Capped value is the prior year's taxable value, less taxable value of losses, "capped" by an increase of the lesser of 5% or the rate of inflation.  Taxable value becomes uncapped when property is sold or transferred.

What is a principal residence exemption and how do I know if I have one?
A principal residence exemption entitles the owner of real property an exemption from the 18* mills of school operating tax for the percentage of taxable value used as a primary residence.  The principal residence exemption must be claimed on a form approved by the Michigan Department of Treasury, form 2368 Homeowner's Principal Residence Exemption Affidavit. The principal residence exemption for your property will be included on your assessment notice expressed as a percentage.  The principal residence exemption percentage will also be displayed on your tax bills.  A principal residence exemption of 100% means your property is exempted from 100% of school operating taxes.  Voted school bonded debt levies are NOT exempted.

Click on the following to link to Guidelines for the Michigan Homeowner's Principal Residence Exemption Program

How can I receive a credit on my property taxes?
The credits available do not originate from the City. The State of Michigan has a homestead property tax credit that can be calculated annually as part of the state income tax filing. In addition, a separate calculation is available for senior citizens for their homestead property taxes. More information on these credits can be obtained at the Michigan Department of Treasury web site or by calling 1-800-482-7000. Information regarding principal residence exemptions and poverty exemptions are available from the City Assessor's Office.

When can I expect to receive a bill and when is it due?
The summer tax bills are mailed the first week of July and are due without penalty if paid by September 30th unless it falls on a weekend in which case the due date is the next business day. The winter tax bills are mailed the first week of December and are due the following February 28th unless it falls on a weekend in which case the due date is the next business day. The due date will always be clearly indicated on your tax bill.

I didn't receive a bill, what should I do?
Call our office immediately (810) 743-1500. We will send you a duplicate bill. Please note, it is the taxpayers responsibility to pay the taxes by the due date regardless of whether a bill was received or not.

My bill has someone else's name on it, what should I do?
First make sure it is your bill, i.e. check the permanent parcel number. If it is your bill, most likely there has been a recent ownership change and the taxpayer information hasn't been updated. If this is the case, you may pay on the bill you received. Again, please note it is the taxpayers responsibility to pay the taxes by the due date.

How do I change the mailing address?
Contact the Treasurer's office at (810) 743-1500 or complete the Mailing Address Change Request Form and return it to; Treasurer City of Burton, 4303 South Center Rd., Burton, MI  48519. 

Where can I pay my taxes and what payment options are available?

At our office - 4303 South Center Rd.

Mail -  please include the tax stub and note the parcel number on your check.  Return in the self-addressed enclosed envelope  - DO NOT SEND CASH.

Drop Box - There is a drop box conveniently located by the east side entrance of City Hall, 4303 South Center Rd.

Credit card - service provided by I-Cloud allows for credit card tax payments by phone. There is a convenience fee charged by I-Cloud. Cards accepted are Visa, MasterCard, and Discover. To pay your taxes by credit card call toll free 1-855-248-6724.

Internet - go to  - How Do I? – Pay My Tax Bill.

A convenience fee is charged by I-Cloud on all card transactions.

What if I can't pay the tax bill when it is due?
Installment payments are permitted. Taxpayers may, at any time after the taxes are levied and prior to March 1st of the next succeeding year, pay taxes in installments.

What are the penalties for late payment?
Summer taxes: A one time 4% collection fee is added October 1st and interest of ½ % per month on unpaid principal. Unpaid real property taxes & penalties are turned over to the Genesee County Treasurer as of March 1 of the succeeding year. Contact the Gene see County Treasurer at (810) 257-3054 for payment information on taxes turned over as delinquent.

If I can't pay my tax bill on time will it affect my credit rating?
No, we do not report anything concerning your payment habits to the Credit Bureau.

The taxable value or principal residence exemption on my bill is incorrect, what should I do?
There are two opportunities each year for assessment corrections; at the July and December Boards of Review.  However, the taxes billed reflect a legal assessment and are due by the due date and in the amount stated on the bill regardless of errors.  Partial payments made in anticipation of an assessment correction are "at your own risk"; i.e., any residual balance due after corrections will bear penalties if delinquent.

The taxable value or principal residence exemption for my property is being corrected at the board of review, should I wait for the corrected bill before paying?
No. The bill you received is due and payable by the due date and in the amount stated on the bill. Partial payments made in anticipation of an assessment correction are "at your own risk"; i.e., any residual balance due after corrections will bear penalties if delinquent.  The City Board of Review meets in July and December to correct errors to the tax roll for both the current and prior year only.  PLEASE CONTACT THE CITY ASSESSOR'S OFFICE AT (810) 743-1500 FOR INQUIRIES.

If a change to your account by the Board of Review is necessary, it will be processed by the Treasurer's Office within 30 days of receipt of the final report of adjustments from the Board. Until we receive a valid change to an account, the original billing remains as stated. Our office cannot adjust any accounts prior to receiving final authorization from the Board of Review.

If the change requires a refund due to the over-payment of tax, it will generally be processed within 30 days of the adjustment to your account. Please note that in the case of a principal residence exemption adjustment where a refund is due, we are directed to issue the refund to the taxpayer qualifying for the exemption, not to who necessarily paid the tax.